This week we take you through a new Tailwind plug ins, no-code admin panels, the universe's dark energy and how long it actually takes to be a good chess player. A fairly broad mix to wrap up our first week of November.
- Have you ever wondered how long it takes to get good at Chess? In this thread from Github, 5.5 years of data from 2.3 million players and 450 million games has been analysed and concludes that most beginners will improve their rating by 100 lichess rating points in 3-6 months. But if you want to become an expert, the curve flattens out and it takes 3-4 years to achieve a similar amount of progress.
- A mysterious force known as dark energy pervades the Universe. It is causing the expansion of our Universe to accelerate, resulting in galaxies moving away from each other at faster and faster speeds. The only problem is, we have no idea what exactly it is. Finding out has been a key question for astronomers for decades, but a new telescope is set to probe this puzzle, and will launch in 2022. Read about the Euclid telescope here.
- Amidst the complex climate change crisis, research around Nuclear Fusion has been blossoming. Fusion requires no major advances in batteries, it would be available on demand, it wouldn’t cause the next Fukushima, and it wouldn’t be too pricey.
Design of the week
This week has been running short on design inspirations. We'll come back stronger next week.
Tech of the week
- Versel's edge functions is a feature that will define the global infrastructure of your application with no configuration at a high speed end with any framework.
- Motor Admin enables you to have a no-code admin panel for your application in a quick and easy way.
- Tailwind finally understood the value of typography and text styling: they launched the "tailwindcss/typography" plugin, of which you can learn more about here.