It's Friday, and we're looking for comfort food and perhaps a finger or two worth of comfort drink. If you're on the same page, then this collection of links to things we found useful and/or interesting might keep you company.
- Accessibility innovation! Turns out conventional contrast checkers aren't really working all that well. Datawrapper has what you need to get serious about your color contrast check for data visualisations.
- Fathom is officially debt free and easier to work with than ever. A complete rebuild took care of it all, and here's what's happening. This is good news, as we are ramping up our usage of Fathom analytics as a real alternative to Google Analytics.
Design of the week
- We like International Magic for many reasons. First of all, as a design studio, they make nice things. They also juggle some very good messaging, such as "Magic as a service"
- We'll throw in this piece they made for Maison Margiela for goot measure.
- Like email, we're always looking for better presentation tools. Having migrated a few times to find better alternatives that allows for good collaboration, good distribution and good design, we're still looking. So we have a tiny eye on Dekks, which is about to launch very soon. Also courtesy of International Magic.
- April 29, 2010, Steve Jobs infamously declared the death of Flash. Since then, no one has dared utter the word "flash" in relation to anything digital. But 12 years is a long time on the internets, and it might be time to take the word back into our vocabulary. Microsoft seems to think so, with their newly launched Microsoft Designer that promises stunning in designs in a flash.
Tech of the week
- Tremor is a tool to create informative dashboards fast, in React.
- This AI bot from The Pudding is asking for access to your music listening history, in order to use it's robot noggin to evaluate how bad your taste in music really is. Entirely objective, obviously, and quite entertaining.
- In the advent of ubiquitous AR, browser client 3D rendering is gradually becoming really good. <model-viewer> won't just make it pretty, it'll also make setting it up a breeze.
- Don't know if everyone really takes in what's going on, but our industry is in the midst of a pivot towards European SAAS services, as GDPR concerns make their rounds in courtrooms all over the place. This site lists European Alternatives for digital products.
- Ah, got to love modernisation on top of the most out-of-date protocol in the world, namely e-mail. Mailing is a tool to build emails in React, and send from anywhere.
- Rounding off with a real AI blast. Podcast.ai is a podcast entirely generated by AI, speaking in depths of user generated topics. Right now, Joe Rogan is interviewing the late Steve Jobs. Come on!
Fare well for now. See you next week.